At Microsoft’s annual developer’s conference Build 2018, Microsoft leaders showcased new technologies to help every developer become an AI developer, on Microsoft Azure. At the conference, there were a slew of innovations showcased on Azure that enable the intelligent cloud and intelligent edge – spanning developer tools, DevOps, containers, Internet of Things (IoT) and artificial intelligence (AI). As the intelligent cloud and intelligent edge app model becomes central to every application, Azure innovation is focused on ensuring every developer is successful on this journey. These fascinating announcements come close on the heels of Microsoft’s investment of USD 5 billion in IoT over the next 4 years.
Mentioned herewith are a few important innovations announced at the event:
- Preview of Visual Studio IntelliCode – Utilises AI to provide intelligent suggestions that improve code quality and productivity.
- Preview of live share – Allows developers to collaborate seamlessly on their code and solve problems across Visual Studio and VS Code
- Partnership with GitHub - Visual Studio App Center will be natively available in GitHub via their marketplace. Any GitHub developer building mobile apps for iOS, Android, Windows and macOS devices can easily automate DevOps processes from their own experience. GitHub brings together the world's largest community of developers to discover, share, and build better software.
- DevOps projects with Azuree Kubernetes Service (AKS) – The Azure Kubernetes Service has seen incredible adoption with usage growing more than 10 times over the past 12 months. AKS is now working with Azure IoT Edge which means developers can spend more time being productive and writing code instead of stitching their services together
- Azure Event Grid – Simplifies event-based apps. Using Event Grid, along with Azure Functions and Azure Logic Apps creating enterprise, high-scale event-based apps has been faster and easier. With event-driven app design also growing rapidly, developers needed a way to manage routing of numerous events coming from many different sources – and going to any destination.
- Open sourced the Azure IoT Edge runtime - This enables the community to extend the use-cases and further innovate. With the growth of cloud and edge apps – running the code at the edge will become the new norm
- Azure Cosmos DB – This tool is the first globally distributed, multi-model database service delivering turnkey global horizontal scale out with guaranteed millisecond latency and uptime. Azure Cosmos DB allows you to elastically scale across any number of geographical regions